Full CV here
IOANNIS LIRITZIS (b. 2-11-1953, Delphi, Greece)
Tel: 210-5027085, mob. 6932-275757,
Professor of Archaeometry, Paleoenvironment, Cultural Heritage
Henan University, Institute of Capital Civilization and Cultural Heritage (2021- )
University of the Aegean, Dept. of Mediterranean Studies, Rhodes, Greece (1999-2021)
Director (& Founder) Research Lab. of Archaeometry (2000-2021) (Archaeometry Laboratory)
Director of Lab. of Informatics (2004-2010 )
Head of the Dept. of Mediterranean Studies (2004-2006)
Director of Lab of Environmental Archaeology (2013-2020)
E-MAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org
Patras University, Department of Physics, Greece (B.Sc in Physics (Hons., 1975).
1) Nuclear Instrumentation (Postgraduate Course, 1976)- Designated Radiation Worker, 1979. His work was made at the Research Laboratory for Research & Conservation, National Museum of Scotland, Edinburgh, the Scottish Universities Research & Reactor Center, Glasgow and Dept of Physics, Edinburgh University, Scotland.
2) Nuclear Physics Applied in Archaeology- Radiochemistry, University of Edinburgh (Ph.D, 1980.Supervisor: Dr R.B.Galloway, Internal Examiner: Late Prof Ken Creer),
3) MacMaster University, Dept of Geology (under Prof. H. Schwarcz), Hamilton, Ontario, Canada (post-grad experience on radiochemistry of cave deposits by U-Th dating, 1977).
1979-82 Laboratory of Physics B’ (Nuclear Physics), University of Patras (setting up basic lab. for dating with thermoluminescence & U-Th)
1982-89 Center of Astronomy & Applied Mathematics, Academy of Athens (with Late Prof. J.Xanthakis, on geomagnetic field variation, time series analysis, solar-terrestrial phenomana)
1982 University of Oxford, Research Lab for Archaeology & History of Art (with Prof Martin Aitken, on archaeomagnetism of Byzantine Churches)
1982 Atomic Energy Research Establishment HARWELL (with Dr Miro Ivanovich, on isotopic measurements of speleothems)
1986 Scholarship Recipient (National Research Foundation & Royal Society, London), in the Dept of Geophysics, University of Edinburgh (working with Prof Ken Creer on archaeomagnetism and auroral variation)
1988-9 State Scholarship Recipient (IKY, National State Scholarship), Dept. of Physics and Dept. of Geophysics, University of Edinburgh (working with Prof. Ken Creer and Dr. R.B.Galloway on nuclear Geophysics, radioactivity measurements of sediments and their relationships with palaeoclimate and solar activity)
1995 (Jan.- March) Maitre de Conference, University of Bordeaux III, Centre de Researche en Physique Appliquee a l’Archeologie, (invited by Prof. Max Schvoerer, with tasks of lecturing and research on Optical and Thermo- luminescence Dating of limestone monuments)
2003 Research Visit to Tenessee University, Dept of Anthropology, and Oak Ridge National Laboratory, USA (collaboration with Dr M.Elam, Dr L.Riciputi, Dr L.Anovitz, on secondary ion mass spectrometry of obsidians).
COURSES TEACHING AT RHODES, GREECE
(All courses are evaluated- learning outcome- by several approaches: Accompanied by powerpoint presentation occasionally videos, as well as, interactive process e.g. question & answer, trial & error, also, emphasis is given to fieldwork visits to archaeological sites and monuments where the application of various methods and techniques are described, use of software, virtual labs (ongoing development), essays (homework), hand on instrumentation, supply with Greek and foreign bibliography e.g. articles in pdf usually reviews or particular applications, clear reading material for exams, further (optional)reading. Also, any current discoveries or applications with World or regional impact to the respective topics)
A. University of the Aegean, Dept of Mediterranean Studies, Rhodes
- ARCHAEOLOGY & NATURAL SCIENCES: INTERDISCIPLINARY APPROACHES
- ARCHAEOMETRY INSTRUMENTATION (LABORATORY WORK.)
- SELECTIVE ISSUES OF Archaeometric Applications
- DATING METHODS IN ARCHAEOLOGY
- NEW TECHNOLOGIES IN ARCHAEOGNOSTIC SCIENCES.
- ARCHAEOENVIRONMENT: MARITIME, COASTAL & INLAND ARCHAEOLOGY
- MUSEOLOGY & PREVENTIVE CONSERVATION
B. University of Athens, Chemistry Dept, Master Degree on Management & Environmental Chemistry (2010- )
The semester course “Environmental Archaeometry”
C. Henan University, Geography & Urban Planning/ Dept of History and Archaeology (BSc and MSc students)
- DATING METHODS
- ARCHAEOMETRY AND SUSTAINABILITY
- MEDITERRANEAN CULTURES STUDIED BY ARCHAEOMETRY