MAJOR CONTRIBUTIONS – DISTINCTIONS / AWARDS
- LUMINESCENCE DATING (https://www.researchgate.net/project/NOVEL-APPROACHES-FOR-SURFACE-LUMINESCENCE-DATING-IN-ARCHAEOLOGICAL-GEOARCHAEOLOGICAL-CASE-STUDIES)
- DOSIMETRY IN MATERIAL CULTURE & ENVIRONMENT
- DATING ANCIENT METAL ARTIFACTS: A NOVEL APPROACH
- OBSIDIAN HYDRATION DATING (SIMS-SS)
- SEISMIC ENERGY RELEASE: PERIODIC NATURE
- 3D RECONSTRUCTIONS: DELPHI4DELPHI INITIATIVE (https://www.researchgate.net/project/DELPHI4DELPHI-Digital-Enterprise-Laboratory-Practice-of-Heritage-Initiative-For-DELPHI)
- AURORAE & ARCHAEOMAGNETISM
- ARCHAEOMAGNETISM FROM GREEK MONASTERIES: SHORT TERM VARIATIONS
- PORTABLE XRF: CALIBRATION ISSUES
- ARHAEOMETRIC PROJECT: ARCHAEOLOGICAL EXCAVATION AND ARCHAEOMETRIC INVESTIGATIONS OF KASTROULI LATE MYCENAEAN SETTLEMENT
- SINO-HELLENIC ACADEMIC PROJECT INITIATIVE (https://www.researchgate.net/project/SINO-EASTERN-MEDITERRANEAN-CULTURAL-CONTACTS-IN-THE-1st-MIL-BC-ENCOUNTERS-PARALLELS; www.huaxiahellas.com)
- CYBER-ARCHAEOMETRY (https://www.researchgate.net/project/CYBER-ARCHAEOMETRY)
DISTINCTIONS – AWARDS
- European Science Foundation Research Award 1983, through the Academy of Athens, for Archaeomagnetic measurements from Byzantine Churches
- Research Grant by the Academy of Athens (1982) for archaeomagnetic measurements in the Research Lab for Archaeology & History of Art, of the Univ of Oxford (Nov-Dec 1982)
- Study Visit Award by The Royal Society, London under the European Science Exchange Programme, to visit the University of Edinburgh (1983).
- Study Visit Award by The Royal Society, London under the European Science Exchange Programme, throught the National Hellenic Research Foundation, to realize research in the University of Edinburgh (1986).
- Invited-Visiting Professor (Maitre de Conference) University de Bodreaux III, Dept of Physics (1995).
- Membre de Correspondance de l’ Academie de Sciences, Arts et Belles Lettres de Dijon, France (2003).
- Active Member of the European Academy of Sciences & Arts, Class IV Natural Sciences. (http://www.acascia-dijon.fr/accueil/archives/nouvelle-n°74-1er-trimestre-2008/)
- Included in the WHO’S WHO IN THE WORLD Marquis edition, USA.
- Academy of Athens Award for the Book Archaeometry: dating methods in archaeology, 1986.
- Reference of Praise, Dept of History, Archaeology & Cultural Management, University of Peloponnese, 2010.
- Award of first graduated student from Patras University, Dept of Physics, by the Univ of Patras Student Parents Association (1975) (rank: Very Good).
- Archaeometry Professorship Costa Navarino Prize, 2010, University of Peloponnese, Lab of Archaeometry (by international committee, http://kalamata.uop.gr/~archaeolab/costa-navarino-awards.html).
- Luminescence in Archaeology International Symposia (LAIS), New International initiative, President (2009 Delphi, 2012 Libon, Paris 2015, Freiburg 2019 forthcoming).
- Corresponding Member of the Advisory Committee, Shanghai Archaeological Forum (Institute of Archaeology, Chinese Academy of Social Sciences), 2013 and 2015 (Website: shanghaiarchaeologyforum.org).
- Elsevier Reviewer Recognition.
- Honorary Professor at the Samara Institute – Higher School of Privatization and Enterprise, Russia (2014).
- Honorary & Guest Professor at the Samara State Institute of Culture, Russia (2014) (http://smrgaki.ru/index.php).
- Member of International Scientific Advisory Council of International School for Advanced Research in Cultural Studies (Samara State Academy of Culture & Arts), Russia.
- FNRS EXPERT, BELGIUM.
- Invited Technical Program Committee 20th Intern Conf. Virtual Systems & Multimedia (VSMM), Hong-Kong Dec. 9-12, 2014 (http://www.vsmm2014.org/#!committee/cqn6)
- Invited to Program Committee of the 2nd International Conference on Virtual Archaeology, Hermitage Museum St Petersburg, Russia (http://www.virtualarchaeology.ru).
- Visiting Distinguished Professor at Henan University, China, 2017 (http://www.hhwm.org/info/1058/2085.htm).
- Research Promotion Foundation, Cyprus (Evaluator) 2017.
- Honorary Fellow, Edinburgh University, School of History, Classics and Archaeology, College of Arts, Humanities & Social Sciences (2018).
- Honorary Professor, Rhodes University, Dept of Physics & Electronics, South Africa (2019).
- Ministry of Education & Research (Greece)-http://excellence.minedu.gov.gr/en/draseis/listing/1457-archaeometry.
- Dean of Class IV, Natural Sciences, European Academy of Sciences & Arts (Jan 2021)
Prof.Liritzis in the most recent 2020 Global list he is in of top 2% ranked scientists over the World.In particular, Prof Liritzis is counted in the fields of Archaeology, Astronomy & Astrophysics, and Historical Studies.The exact ranking in Archaeology is top 1.3% of the World. SOURCE: Baas, Jeroen; Boyack, Kevin; Ioannidis, John P.A. (2021), “August 2021 data-update for “Updated science-wide author databases of standardized citation indicators”, Mendeley Data, V3, doi: 10.17632/btchxktzyw.3 https://elsevier.digitalcommonsdata.com/datasets/btchxktzyw/3.
- 2022: Honorary Book as a Special Issue of the peer-reviewed journal HERITAGE, for my retirement from Univ. of the Aegean and the contributions in academia (https://www.mdpi.com/journal/heritage/special_issues/egyptology)
RECENTLY INVITED SPEAKER
1.Obsidian Summit International Workshop, 2-3 Sept 2004, Rikkyo University, Tokyo Japan. (& Session at Meiji: Meiji Univ, Meiji Univ Institute of Humanities, Meiji Univ Center for Obsidian & Lithic Studies).
2.University of Sohag, Egypt, Dept of Conservation Studies, Faculty of Arts, 30 Oct 2009. Talk on ‘Conservation and Archaeometry and Pigment Analysis of mural paintings’.
3.Physical Research Laboratory, Ahmedabad, India, 2nd Asian-Pacific Luminescence & ESR Dating, 11-26 Nov 2009. Talk on ‘Surface luminescence dating : an overview’
4.6th Symposium of Intensive Medicine Care of Military Forces, 30-31 May 2008, Athens. Talk on ‘Discovering the past with physics’
5.Hellenic Archaeometry Association & Ministry of Culture, Natural Sciences & archaeological materials, The institutes of researchdiscuss and propose. 7 May 2007 Athens, Talk on the “Initiation of a National Archaeometry Network”.
6.9th Intern Workshop on Non-Crystalline Solids, Porto 27-30 April 2008. Talk on Diffusion phenomena in non crystalline obsidian samples and applications in the dating of ancient obsidian tools by SIMS and FT-IR co authored).
7.Aegean nanoscience and nanotechnology Workshop. 2nd International Conference from “Nanoparticles & nanomaterials to nanodevices & nanosystems”, Rhodes 28 June- 3 July 2009. Talk on “From micron to nano scale in rhyolites: SEM, PLM and AFM in obsidian hydration dating by SIMS-SS.(http://www.uta.edu/ic4n/).
8.Exploring the Maltese Prehistoric Temple Culture, 25-27 Sept 2003 Malta. Talk on ‘Luminescence dating of megalithic monuments’. (http://www.otsf.org/EMPTC-conference.html).
9.Intern. Conference Egypt and the Mediterranean Countries: Historical ties and a future vision, Beni Suef University 2-4 April 2009, Under the Patronage f Minister of Higher Education, Talk on ‘the Role of archaeometry to cultural heritage, tourism and diplomacy.’
10.3 Days Seminar on Environmental Education, Center for Environmental Education, Amfissa, Central Greece, on “Climatic Changes & Environment”, 27-29 March 2009, Talk on “ Palaeoclimate and Astronomy”.
11.1st Regional STACHEM (Science & Technology for archaeology & Cultural Heritage in the Eastern Mediterranean, EU funded FP7 project) Workshop on Inrfastructures in Natural & Material Sciences in Archaeology, 8th May 2009 Xanthi, Greece. Talk on ‘Coordination of network activities and initiatives on archaeometry’.
12.Invited Professor at University of Cairo, Egypt, Spring 2010, Faculty of Archaeology, Dept of Conservation.
13.Invited Speaker 2nd Symposium on Archaeological Research & New Technologies, ARCH_RNT, Dept of History, Archaeology & Cultural Management, Univ of Peloponnese, Kalamata, 21 – 23 Oct, 2010
14.In Where does Agriculture stands on? Summer Ecological School, Interdisciplinary Institute of Environmental Research, Samothrace, 4-8 July 2010.
15.Art Collectors & Collections, 2nd Round of Lectures Theocharakis Foundations Athens, 24 Jan-7 Febr 2011.
16.Greek Regionalists Conference on the “Future of Regional development and Urban planning in Greece”, Delphi 24-25 Febr 2012. (Organised by several agents, Responsible: Dr Ladias Univ of Central Greece).
17.Plenary Lecture at 2nd Luminescence in Archaeology International Symposia, LAIS2012, Liosbon, 5-7 Sept 2012. ‘Updating of radiation dose-rate conversion factors: a critical re-evaluation”
18.Invited Lecture at 3rd ARCH_RNT (Archaeological Research & New Technologies) University of Peloponnese, Kalamata, 3-5 Oct 2012, “Dating by Obsidian Hydration: Recent data and new prospectives, Dept of History, Archaeology & Cultural Management, Univ of Peloponnese, Kalamata, 21 – 23 Oct, 2012, Abstract Book, 39-40.
19. Samara State Academy of Arts & Culture (Invited Speaker and Teaching at Class) & Samara Institute – Higher School of Privatization and Enterprise, Samara, Russia.
20. Invited visiting distinguished professor at California University at San Diego (Qualcom Inst & Center of Hellenic Studies & Dept of Anthropology, USA), participation to UCSD-University of the Aegean Workshop (29 Oct – 2 Nov 2014)
21. Invited visiting distinguished professor at Coastal Carolina University, Edwards College of Visual Arts, USA (22 Oct-29 Oct., presented five lectures).
22. 4-19 April 2015. Invited distinguished scholar at University of Science & Technology of China, at Hefei. Lecturing and research initiatives with Prof Z.Jin and staff.
23. 2nd VIRTUAL ARCHAEOLOGY 31 May-4 June 2015 Intern. Conference at St Petersburg Russia, Invited Keynote Speaker. (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_TGYHcLpQpWYjBWaGN1dVUwN3c/view?pli=1)
24. Keynote speaker Disaster Archaeology and the 10th High-End Forum of the Studies of Yellow River & the International Conference (2018) (Website: http://shanghaiarchaeologyforum.org/people/advisory-committee/ ).
25. 2022: 2nd Women in Geomorphology Workshop that will take place on 8th of March, 2022, “Remarks on women’s roles throughout history”; https://420fbd98-b5c1-43b4-abe4-eb014a27c4b8.filesusr.com/ugd/903d7a_fc39b40f1cd84813b6530a1e7605d704.pdf